Thursday, June 5, 2008

Last Day As A Teacher


Today was the last day of school for me as a teacher. I have a bachelors degree in elementary education with a certification in the area of exceptional student education (ESE). After graduating 5 years ago I was hired at the school where I did my student teaching and have taught 4th grade there for the last four years. It has been a rewarding experience as well as one full of challenges and self discovery. I have learned a lot about myself as I have been able to reflect on my own childhood experiences in school and use the lessons learned to encourage, challenge, and empower kids. Today however I closed the door to that chapter of my life to continue moving towards my calling in life.

You see I went into education as a step towards becoming a pastor. I had been volunteering in the student ministry at my church when I chose education after realizing that God had gifted me to work with students and kids and felt called to ministry. At the time I was not ready to step into full time ministry so I continued as a volunteer, worked towards becoming a teacher, and then taught, knowing that eventually I would go on to seminary. So today I spent my last day in the classroom as a teacher and will soon be stepping back into the classroom as a seminary student pursuing my Masters in Divinity and continuing to do my best to be faithful to God's leading.
I will miss being a teacher and am thankful for how God has used me to minister to parents and students while teaching in a public school but I must say that I know it is time to move on and am excited about the road ahead.

1 comment:

Jesse Acosta said...

Bro your going to do awesome, its funny how we try careers that helped people not giving in to what we really had to give into and how he wants us to help people..
God bless